Possibly My Worst Idea Ever

I am admittedly a do-it-yourselfer, and I come from a long line of do-it-yourselfers. Not much intimidates me: I can do drywalling, tiling, electrical wiring, and ugh, even landscaping!

My most recent home improvement project was/is by far one of my worst ideas. When we moved into our little house a few years back we walled in a portion of our kitchen to make additional storage. Since we added a wall, we continued the existing backsplash onto the wall. At the time, I didn’t notice that a portion of the existing diamond pattern in the tile was crooked, but over the years it began to bother me more and more.

I somehow managed to convince mon mari to help me fix it.
“We already have all the materials,” I said.
“We only need to replace 6 tiles, it will be quick,” I said.
“We don’t even need to cut anything,” I said.
Wrong, wrong, wrong.

I had no idea how hard it would be to pop out a few tiles! Before beginning the project, I printed out two different methods to remove tile: one using a hammer, nail, and chisel, and the other using a drill, masonry bit, and chisel. Neither method worked well — we ended up using a combination of both.

Apparently we did such a good job installing the backsplash in the first place, that the tiles wouldn’t budge from the adhesive. I guess ceramic tile is pretty durable these days! It took us a couple of hours to remove a half dozen tiles.

Although I diligently prepared the surface and taped off the adjacent tiles to protect them, we still chipped a few tiles at the corners and had to remove them. As luck would have it, the tiles we chipped were half-tiles, so we had to cut replacements.

It never ceases to amaze me how the little home improvement projects that should only take an afternoon often have lengthy, unexpected snags. My “simple” tiling replacement job took two days to finish. Partly because of drying time, but still. Nothing is ever what it seems when it comes to home repair!

Advertisements