Gourmet Gifts on the Cheap
Here are a few great gift ideas for the gourmand in your life. These culinary offerings won’t break the bank [most retail for under $20 total], but they will score you major points if the recipient is a foodie.
- A bottle of wine in a wine bag, with a corkscrew attached to the tie strings. Another clever attachment might be a foil cutter.
When to use: This gift is perfect anytime, but I especially like to use it around the holiday season, when parties abound, and bring a nice red or a crisp white as a gift for the host/hostess.
- A sweet or savory jam with a recipe for a dip or sauce attached with ribbon.
When to use: This makes a great host/hostess gift.
- A set of appetizer spreaders with a dip recipe attached with ribbon.
When to use: I like to give these as a host/hostess gift or as a small housewarming gift.
- A cookbook with a personalized message on the inside cover.
When to use: This gift is my personal favorite, and it is appropriate for any occasion or milestone. I think the key with this gift is to pick the right topic and to personalize your message inside the book. Some made-up examples:
- “101 Things to Make With Ramen Noodles.” For a new college student.
- “Our First Cookbook.” For newlyweds.
- “Best BBQ Recipes.” For the grill aficionado.
- “Exotic Asian Dishes.” For your worldly friend.
- “One Pot Suppers” or “Crock Pot Cooking.” For the culinary newbie.
- A cake pan, pie tin, or set of cookie cutters with a favorite recipe.
When to use: This is a good gift when the winter holiday season is in full swing. Whether you’re visiting dear family or new friends, this gift is a simple way to say thanks.
- An herb plant in a decorative pot or a herb garden kit.
When to use: This gift is great because it works for anyone, anytime. It may be a bit harder to find fresh herb plants in the winter, though.
- A cute teacup filled with a few bags of the recipient’s favorite blend of tea or a coffee mug filled with the recipient’s favorite brew (or even chocolate covered coffee beans).
When to use: This gift is great for teachers, bosses, and for a host or hostess at a winter party when a little warming up may be needed the next morning!